Friday, September 16, 2005

Modern Life is Automatic

One thing that has changed since I last used a rucksack almost, ooh, twenty years ago is the fact that I now have so many electronic things to carry about. And they all need chargers...of course the one that I forgot is not for the iPod or the mobile phone but for the VEC, the Very Expensive Camera that I bought a few days before departing. Lovely as it is, it needs a battery, one of those big fat batteries and I managed to forget not only the spare but also the charger. Luckily Paul is coming out in two weeks and can bring it.

However, after our first day's touring together, the VEC and I nearly came to blows in the calm surroundings of Bangkok's Grand Palace when I discovered that I am not the only one who doesn't like the heat...the poor thing couldn't cope and switched itself into some kind of not-quite-off-but-not-on either mode (the camera version of sulking. So I caught the very large reclining gold leaf buddha but not much else. Of course once we returned to the magnificent cool of the hotel bedroom it suddenly sprang to life again. But the magic three bars of battery life had mutated into one (all that digital sweating) so now having lots of memory card room remaining is rather unimportant since it only wants to take pictures in fridges...

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

As my sister would say, grr! Sorry about the VEC. The gadget thing is staggering. I am shopping for a new purse and so there I was today while the sweet clerk let me dump all my things into the new bag to see if it would work: cell phone, palm pilot, ipod--and those are just the daily essentials... I am in love with the idea of eavesdropping on your trip this way. Love, me

16 September, 2005 17:42  
Blogger Leerdammer said...

But I was sure you'd packed the nuclear reactor in that rucksack...you could always use that to charge it. :-)
You could start a picture portfolio of 5* Hotel Lobbies - they're all air-conditioned, after all. OK, not very helpful, I'll grant you. But a solution, you see.
I can UPS the charger, comme tu veux - all I need is for you to email me the swanky joint you'll be staying at, and the boys in brown can do the rest.
Bad Camera!

18 September, 2005 02:44  
Blogger George said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

21 October, 2005 20:03  

Post a Comment

<< Home